
Alda and I went downtown to take a look at Pesta Chow Kit Kita (FB), a project by and for the youth in Chow Kit, which was held at KL Krash Pad (FB). One of their assignments was to interview and take pictures of people living in the area, which included homeless men and immigrants. I'm not sure if the gallery will still be at KL Krash Pad, but it's definitely an eye-opener. Chow Kit Kita is an awesome project to engage teens and make them feel important and needed, especially those who come from an under-privileged background. Too bad not a lot of people knew about this event!



The band that played during the opening ceremony was pretty awesome, I didn't catch their name thoughThe heat was killing me by then - I wore a flowy tube top with shorts and flip-flops but I was still sweating like mad, even the back of my top was drenched! I'm also tanner now cause we were walking up and down under the hot sun.
Anyway, after that we headed to The Annexe because a friend asked to check out a photography exhibition there (FB). Organized by a group of Taylor's College students, 'Everyone Has Hope' showcases photos taken by young Burmese refugees.
It is...I would say refreshing to see pictures taken from the view of innocent children, and also heart wrenching at the same time to find out what kind of conditions they live in. Did you know that although they are given the refugee status, the Malaysian government doesn't grant them basic rights, such as education? They're not allowed to attend public schools, so they go to this 'Burmese school' which is situated in a shop lot and are taught by volunteers. You can purchase the pictures from the exhibition and all proceeds go to the Burmese school (there's a donation box there as well). Do check it out, it's going on til Nov 27th.
The Burmese kids who participated in 'Everyone Has Hope'
Peter Jackson (cool name eh), whose photo I bought
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete